Saturday, February 27, 2010

In the Event of an Emergency

When I heard about the earthquake in Chile and then the tsunami warnings that followed I began to think about what I would pack up and bring with me in the event of an emergency. If we had time to evacuate-what I would grab as I left our home, possibly for the last time?
Mark seems to think that we would have time to go and rent a Uhaul, pack up our things and carry them to the Uhaul...all before the traffic were to hit as the million + people in Columbus began to evacuate our town...all of us headed in the same direction. Not sure what I think is more unbelievable: actually packing up all of our things and loading them into a truck and escaping; or Mark actually believing I would help to lift/carry/load things into the truck. Ha.
So I told Mark I knew exactly what I would grab. They are as follows: the pictures Mark gave me of our boys this Christmas, our large wedding photo, the collage my parents had done for us for our wedding, our wedding album, wedding video, Zachary's modulation cd's because they are so freakin' expensive, and other scrapbooks from years past. I asked Mark what he would grab. His list: Cali, the kids, and..."Wait, what am I talking about? I can't grab anything, my arms will be full, because apparently all I will be doing is carrying frames." Well, yes. We won't have food to survive, but we'll have pictures!
The Memory Loving,
Joyful and Tired Mom
*What would you grab if you knew you needed to evacuate quickly?

2 comments:

  1. I'd grab my laptop, ipod and the husband and kids. After the family, my whole life is on the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the kids, dogs, then photos. Hopefully I'd think to grab food, but it didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete