Tuesday, February 2, 2010

All Hail the Mighty Crockpot

My intention with this blog was never to write a "how to." I think I have a lot of things figured out for my family, but overall...I'm pretty darned clueless. I can't, however, get it out of my head the need to write about my crockpot and share a few very quick, easy, and healthy meals with you.
In Mark and my efforts to get in shape again after we both put on some pregnancy weight we have become fairly regimented in what we eat for breakfast, lunch, and snack. This is one reason I have come to absolutely love dinner...because it is the meal I make that I allow myself to eat whatever (within reason ofcourse-sadly we aren't eating cheesecake every night). The crockpot has become the greatest solution for us to have really great dinners that offer great leftover options as well. I am obsessed with my crockpot! So, without further ado I would like to present you with three great crockpot recipes that require less than 5 minutes of your time, but you get a great meal at the end of a busy day. Oh, and did I mention they make your house smell FABULOUS!?

Pork Roast
I purchase and onion and garlic Pork Roast from the store.
Place in crockpot with 3/4 c. of water
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Eat with baked potato and steamed veggies (we use frozen brocolli a lot).

Leftovers: tortilla (azteca taco shells are the best), shredded pork, cheese, lettuce, etc. (We actually make a chipotle run and get our favorite salsas with guacamole.) Delicious!

Pot Roast
A lot of stores will have a "buy 1 get one free" deal on pot roasts. Take advantage of this deal.
Pull pot roast out of freezer, pop in crockpot, add seasoning packet, carrots, onions and water (McCormick's Savory Pot Roast is our favorite) and cook on low for 8 hours.
Have mashed potatoes or a baked potato for a side and you are golden!
Leftovers...we just eat the roast again. But my mother-in-law makes a gravy and chops the roast up into small pieces and mixes it with the gravy. The next night they eat it on a hamburger bun for a great sandwich.

Chicken and Salsa
Frozen Chicken Tenders
One can of corn (drained)
One can of black beans (Drained)
half a jar of your favorite salsa.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over brown rice, a baked potato, or in the form of a quesadilla.

Hope you guys enjoy!
Much love,
The Joyful and Tired Mom

1 comment:

  1. Yum. We do the chicken and salsa one a lot.
    Another one to try is shredded chicken in Montgomery Inn sauce. Layer sauce, (pan sear) chicken, sauce, chicken. Let it cook for a few hours... take out the chicken and shred it up and put back in with the sauce. Stir occasionaly. Serve on a bun with some veggies. So good.

    ReplyDelete