Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where is Candee Jones When You Need Her?


So today was our first time taking all three boys to the pool together...and it was a SUCCESS!!!!!
We are fortunate enough to be able to go as guests to my parent's neighborhood pool and we are so thankful! But even with a heart full of thanksgiving it doesn't take away my stress at being in a pool with three children-none of whom are independent in the water. (Sidenote: Drew thinks he is. He was putting up quite the fight to jump off of the diving board by himself.) Also, everytime we have gone to the pool in the past I become to consumed with mommy guilt that I can't enjoy my time.
I am so full of guilt that Zachary doesn't know how to swim. He just turned 5, and hasn't been exposed to swimming that often, but still...I spent every day during my summer vacations at the pool: playing mermaids with Emily Ray, wolfing down dry Jello with Tracey Albanese before a swim meet, watching my parents friendships evolve with others into best friendships as they all cheered us on at our meets, getting tossed in the water by my dad, having chicken fights with neighborhood friends, playing 'sharks & minnows' or the 'greased watermelon' game in the deep end (and watching my dad lose a contact lens while playing), spending the day eating awesome snack bar food (hot ham & cheese, pizza, and candy lipstick) and the evenings spent with all of our family's best friends having picnics on the pool patio.
Almost every one of my most treasured childhood memories involves swimming or the pool in some way or another. And because we don't belong to a pool yet, and don't take our boys swimming all the time, I feel like I am robbing them of some of the greatest childhood experiences a child can have.
Now granted, our children are 5, 2 1/2, and 8 months. It isn't as though they are teens and have never swam before. I just want them to enjoy summer vacation like I did when I was growing up. And I know that they will. I know they will. But for now, I just have to shove the mommy guilt aside and know there will come a day when our boys will spend their days doing whatever it is they want to do in the pool (because they will know how to swim). In the meantime though I am going to try to enjoy my time with them now in the water...and wish that Candee Jones were here to teach my children to swim, just like she taught me.
Putting my Best Foot Forward (in the water ofcourse),
The Joyful and Tired Mom

5 comments:

  1. Yes! Candy Lipstick was the best! I really enjoyed reading that Lindsey! We lived at Greenmont didn't we?! Most of my best childhood memories involve the pool and swim team also! I remember thinking that all of the life guards were my best friends. Ashlee, Sweeny, Sarah, and Big Al! Your boys are so young... you have PLENTY of time to turn into swimmers. No guilt needed! Did you send this to Candy? I'll have to tell her you were thinking of her if not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last post was me... Ashley! I couldn't get it to change anonymous! OOPS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey,
    i loved this blog and the nostalgia it created. My mom and i were just talking over the 4th of July about our favorite greenmont memories. I feel so lucky that we were able to spend every minute at the pool in the summer, and that we grew up in a community with so many great friends that ultimately became our extended families.

    Thank you for making me remember my wonderful childhood and all the people that made it so special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey,
    Megan forwarded this to me and I also long for the days when life seemed care free and we lived at the pool. I have wonderful memories of watching all of you grow up. It was a very special time. I know you and your boys will also make memories and whether they involve a pool or not, be assured, they will be terrific and sustainable! My best to all of you. (I would love to teach your boys to swim!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great note...I love this! I remember the swim lessons from Mrs. Jones, the jello and all other things good about spending summers at Greenmont :-)
    I forgot about Sweeny & Big Al :-)

    ReplyDelete