Monday, May 31, 2010

"The Greatest Generation"


Each family has a history. My family has a wonderful history that Mark and I have chosen to keep alive in our children through stories and pictures. And it is a family history that I am thankul they will want to share with their children, and their children's children.
Part of that history is the service that both of my grandfathers had in the protection of our country and the continued fight to protect our freedoms we now experience everyday in the United States.
I say with a heart full of pride that both of my grandfather's served this country during WWII. My dad's dad (Grandpa) was in the Navy. My mom's dad (Poppa) was in the Army.
Two years ago several of us took my Poppa to see the WWII Memorial. It was one of the most emotional experiences of my life. My grandfather wore an Army hat my mom had gotten him and everywhere we went people thanked him for his service. The tour guide at Arlington Cemetary became emotional while talking with him, had him sign a book that he carries with him to have war heroes sign, and then he announced my grandfather's name and thanked him over the intercom for his bravery and service to our country. I am so proud to be a part of this heritage, this history. I am grateful that I can say that my grandfathers believed in something greater than themselves, and were willing to fight for it, for themselves and for future generations. Freedom always costs something. And as difficult as it is to understand for me, my grandfathers understood that, and courageously put their lives on the line for the American people, for our livelihood, for our freedom.
I am extremely sad that my Grandpa was unable to see the memorial that was built in his honor, and the honor of men he fought beside. He passed away in 1992. I am sad it took so long to build. But I am grateful that it stands today for our generation to see, and for future generations to visit and try to gain some perspective of the incredible men and women who gave their time or their lives in service to our country.




This blog isn't about whether you believe in war or not. It is, however, a blog that encourages EVERYONE, regardless of your stance, to honor and be grateful for the sacrifices soldiers made for you and for me. Unfortunately we live in a time where many of us have forgotten that we are not entightled to the freedoms we possess. And these freedoms that we embrace and sadly, take advantage of and use for our own personal gain, came at a price. Freedom cost something. Even the freedom that we have in Christ cost something...it cost Jesus His life. Someone had to die for the freedom we have in Him. Freedom isn't free.
Many men and women over the centuries have courageously fought for us. It is devastating to know that many people have lost their lives. It is heartbreaking to know that there are men and women who lost their lives in battle, and have never returned home. This is why I love the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The soldier that is in this tomb is one where they felt the remains could never be indentified. Therefore, it is a symbol to represent all who have fallen during battle. It is guarded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. As one soldier that guards the tomb of the unknown said, "We're going to give them the best that we can."

They 'get it.' The recognize the bravery and the sacrifice these men gave for our country. And that is why my stomach turns and I could spit fire when I think that this year the President of our Great Nation is not putting a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I do not want people to write back their opinions about this president. I don't care if you are someone that loves him, or someone that hates him...I would feel this way about any president. It is disgraceful, repulsive, and inconceivable to me that the president would not place a wreath on this tomb on Memorial Day. Inconceivable. I am almost at a loss for words at the level of disrespect this shows all men and women in uniform.
I get it, his family is on vacation...he could have gone next week. But he did say he would place a wreath somewhere in Chicago. Thanks, but no thanks. A wreath somewhere in Chicago is as symbolic as a wreath on my front door. It doesn't cut it, Mr. President, when you consider the price these men paid so that you could even step foot into the highest office in our country.
I'm sorry I am ending on such a sour note. But I do think it should be of the utmost importance to people that we honor those in uniform. That we honor those that are living, and honor the fallen.
And with that I say thank you Poppa and Grandpa for serving your country well. And giving us a family history we can be proud of. You are both brave men and have given us an incredible legacy to pass onto our children. I love you.
The Joyful and Tired and Incredible Grateful Mom,
Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful, amazing post! i am so thankful that you chose to share your story! your children (and their children and so on) will always be respectful and grateful because of the service that you're doing as their mama by telling your grandfathers' stories. way to go! i really love the pictures that you share! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. minnesota mamaleh,
    thanks! your encouragement blesses me.
    lindsey

    ReplyDelete