Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Can't Keep a Good Man Down...or a Crazy Toddler


So we found out today that our sweet baby boy, Drew, has an inguinal hernia and needs surgery. We haven't had a consultation with the pediatric general surgeon yet, and so the surgery date has not been set. I will be honest though, even though I know the surgery for a hernia is extremely common I am still near tears at the thought of my sweet, and often crazy, child having to go under general anesthesia.
I will continue to blog updates about his surgery and about his recovery. And about my emotional stability leading up to surgery.
But here is my question for everyone...
We don't need to eliminate all activity, but we do need to eliminate higher risk activites from his daily life until he has his surgery, and a few weeks following his surgery. So...how do we keep our little guy from his crazy climbing and flipping around the house? I mean, look at the picture above-that is our every day. And if you notice, Drew is the one in the center of the action. That is just who he is and how he rolls through this life. In the middle, and often the instigator of "crazy" in our home.
Worried,
The Joyful and Tired Mom

4 comments:

  1. Linds I am sorry to hear that. Even if it is a common surgery I would be worried too... you're a great mom and that is why you worry.
    Did the doctor give you any suggested activities he could do? Maybe start a reward system if he doesn't do some things (jump off things) and does do others (play with cars on the floor)etc.
    I have no idea... Augie is 8 mos. old... he sits in one place.
    Good luck. We will keep Drew in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about jut keeping him in the pool? There would be more resistance for all of his movements, which would probably limit his range of motion. Plus, the sun and water will probably tire him out so he'll be more lethargic and accepting of "chill" activities. Who knows... he may even take a nap ;)

    Sorry that's the best I can come up with given that I have no experience, coupled with the fact that I've had very little sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, that picture of Mark with the kids - heavenly. You really married a good one, Lindsey. He is a stellar father, especially a father to THREE boys.

    Second of all, I am so, so sorry. I am PRAYING for you and for that amazing boy of yours. You know he'll do great - you are the one that is going to be a wreck. Yes, please keep us posted. I want to know when and how I can be praying.

    Thirdly, SERIOUSLY? Drew is supposed to be calm-ish? That's got to be a joke. Let's just pray the surgery is sooner than later so that he can resume life as spunky, fun, energetic, hyper-active, monkey Drew.

    LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never easy, but having seen all three of my children go under general anesthesia multiple times each, I can say it will be fine. The hardest part about it is the weird painful burping they do for a few hours afterward from the drugs. God will be with him even for the short time you can't be.
    Now, the keeping him less active and more calm part... that will probably take prayer, too!
    I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete