Thursday, March 18, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

Have you ever had one of those days?
You know, the kind of day where one of your children wakes up 3 hours before he is supposed too. Then he wakes up another child because he is so excited to start the day...which in turn, wakes up the 3rd child due to all of the noise generated by child #1 and child #2. Now you have 3 kiddos running on much less sleep than needed.
The kind of day when the moment you hear the first whining of the day your entire back tenses up and not even the greatest massuese in the world could get he knots out of your back.
The kind of day where you are up for hours before you can put a drop of food into your mouth because so many other mouths need fed...including the dog.
The kind of day where you panic because you can't find your dog in the house and you think, "Oh my gosh, did I forget to let the dog in again? Has she had it with always being forgotten and finally run away." And then there is the guilt because about 1% of you thinks that it would actually be a relief. Then the remaining 99% of you kicks into panic mode because you love your dog, as do the kids, and your husband. So you send your oldest child running through the house in search of your pet only to discover that she has not been forgotten outside, but accidentally shut in the basement.
The kind of day where you go to have your children's feet sized to determine when to buy shoes again; only to discover that they have been walking around in shoes an entire size too small for who knows how long!
Then you run into an inconsiderate mom that cuts infront of you at the store-totally ignoring your stroller the size of a freakin' boat that has been patiently waiting for someone long before she walked into the store.
Then you feel sad for this inconsiderate mom after her middle child starts sobbing for no reason and you hear her tell the sales clerk, "Sometimes I just can't take it." Then you feel bad for judging her in the first place, because we're all struggling to some degree.
Then you are quickly reminded how awful it feels to be judged in the first place as the sales clerk tells your child, "You'll only go to a playground if you are good." I'm sorry, isn't that my job! And when you say, "I'm sorry. I know we're a handful, thanks for helping us"...the clerk totally ignores you.
One of those days where you get into the car to go to a playground and your baby cries the ENTIRE way-all the while you seem to hit EVERY SINGLE RED LIGHT the town has ever installed.
The kind of day when you are so excited to actually sit and enjoy a quiet lunch while your children nap and you discover that, nope, your middle child won't nap because he slept 10 minutes in the car 3 hours earlier.
The kind of day where your child tries to scale a gate and gets stuck.
The kind of day when all you want to eat is a giant blizzard from Dairy Queen, but then you realize you 1)gave up sweets for Lent, 2) wouldn't be worth it anyway because the DQ by your house gives LAME portions that only make you angry and take away from the enjoyment, and 3) you still have baby weight to lose and you have to be realistic and realize that a blizzard won't help your waist line...And nor will the bottle of wine that you would like to begin drinking at noon, because hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
But with all that said, I guess it could be worse. Atleast I didn't wake up with gum in my hair.
Until Next Time,
The Joyful and Tired Mom

5 comments:

  1. Amen again and again friend! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...yes, I ABSOLUTELY have days like that. Only with one child less. Whew. I sometimes have to repeat "I DO love my job." over and over again in my head to make myself believe it on days like that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like The Terrible, Horrible,No Good, Very Bad Day which was my favorite book to read when out substituting. Love the way you wrote about it and how it could always be worse.. My love to you and your family, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Tuesday playdates have been fun and all, but we need a girls night! I adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...in Australia.." is one of our favorite lines in this house! Thank goodness Sparty is a Siberian Husky that can handle the cold, since I have left her out for hours after forgetting I let her out. And then there is the guest bdrm taht she somehow always gets locked in? I remember your pain well. It is different now that the kids are getting bigger. (Relief is ahead!) I think these are the brief golden years - we already see major attitude and drama around the corner with the almost 9 yr old daughter!! I may have to be committed during her tween/teen years.

    ReplyDelete