Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Call to Authenticity

I am starting this blog by, literally ,laughing out loud.
I went to Lifeway Bookstore yesterday to get a book for a friend who was celebrating his birthday. I wanted to get him a Chuck Colesen book. I've never read any of his things, but my brother-in-law, Mike, took a course he "led" and really enjoyed him and learned so much. I have such a sincere amount of respect for Mike that I thought, "If he likes Chuck Colesen, then surely our friend will as well." Therefore, I went to the store to find a book. While at the Christian bookstore I was browsing other products that they were selling...and if I can be totally honest...I think it is a crime how much they charge for gifts because they know that if it says some bible verse, or talks about love, Christians will fork over the money to buy it-whatever the product may be. Some of my favorites include, but are not limited to:

* "Praise the Lord" flutes for kids.
* (One of my favorites) Inflatable Football Cooler: 'This one-of-a-kind cooler includes a pump and, best of all, this awesome thought: “Win or lose, always give thanks to the Lord.”'
* The Jelly Bean Prayer Pack "Each scrumptuous jelly bean’s color represents an important part of the plan of salvation. For instance, red represents the blood Christ shed for us while white represents the cleansing of our souls as Christ’s blood washes away our sins.
* A Glow in the Dark, 'God Lights our Way', Pen
* A "Chid of God On Board" window hanging for your car
* A "Not Spoiled...Blessed" dog tag
Etc. Etc. You get my drift.

The products that are out there for us to buy as Christians is astounding. And although they are hysterical in my opinion (especially the inflatable cooler which totally makes you more holy even if you are screaming and cursing at the ref), these products are being made because we spend our money on them.
Now none of these things in and of themselves are bad. In fact, in college I loved driving around with an Ichthus emblem on the back of my car. I loved having drivers pass me and know that I was a follower of Jesus (except when I was speeding and had a slight case of road rage). However, what drives me absolutely crazy about these products is I feel that some (not all), myself included, have fallen into the trap of wanting to look Christian on the outside, but we have yet to suurender to the awesome transforming power of the Holy Spirit. We somehow believe that in investing in these things we are somehow "more Christian" than the next guy. We want to read the right books, say the right things, wear the right clothes, pretend to be perfect and without fault in things. If there is fault we blanket the offense over with words like "fallen and sin" instead of figuring out the choices that led to doing something that hurt ourselves or someone else. We are more concerned with looking the part than living it. Less concerned with confession and repentance and more concerned with making sure people think we have it all together.
I believe this does a disservice to ourselves. We come to Jesus because we want to be loved for who we are, as we are. That's what He offers us. But we quicky step in line with so many others in trying to do things to show we are Christians instead of living an authentic life as someone truly loved by the God of the freakin' universe! I mean, how cool is that?!
I also thinks this does a severe disservice to non-believers or people that have just come to church and been introduced to who Jesus really is. People come into church and instead of seeing true authenticity and people that are just really screwed up and don't have life totally together, they walk into a group of people all striving to perfect the "mask of perfection" that we try to hide behind. Now I realize I am making enormous generalizations. But I am telling you, I am guilty of these things as well. And not everyone does these things...but too many of us do.
And that is why I feel like I have this new purpose, a new mission in my faith. I just want people to live a life of authenticity! I want them to not just say they are loved for who they are, as they are...but really believe it as well. I want us to stop talking the "Christianize" talk and be real. I want us to confess our junk to those we trust and find that even in the midst of our junk, we are still loved. I remember one of the wisest things I ever heard from someone was, "If we all walked around with our sin printed on our foreheads, instead of judging one another we would be hugging each other and saying,'you too?'" Let's be honest with ourselves and honest with each other and allow God to heal our hurts, redeem the things we have messed up, and be loved regardless. Let's live a ife of authenticity, not a life where we are all worthy of an Oscar for perfecting the act and hiding behind the "mask of perfection."
The Forgiven, Grateful, and Purpose Driven,
Tired and Joyful Mom

4 comments:

  1. Amen, Linds. Christianize is for the birds, in my opinion. Sure, there is a time and place for certain "Christian" vernacular (mainly between Christians), but why in the world would a non-believer want to follow Jesus if they don't understand what the heck all those crazy Christians are talking about?

    I believe that we serve non-believers best by being ourselves, walking a walk that communicates, "hey, I'm just like you! A total mess. It just so happens that I'm free of my mess because of what God has done for me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey-Wonderfully written. I totally agree with Ali that we do serve best through our examples to others--and that my forgiven life is still often very messy. Loved the blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lindsey, i just started reading your blog last week & wanted to say that you are huh-larious & i love this blog of yours!! you are great at putting your thoughts into words & it's great reading-keep it up! oh, and did i already say you're freakin funny? really enjoyed reading this post especially. couldn't agree with you more! jamie is a marketing guy & always says "if you can find something to market to Christians, you hit the jackpot" -sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true. I worked at a Christian bookstore in high school...wait for it, the Jesus Bookstore...and was appalled by the marketing that went on sometimes.

    ReplyDelete