Friday, February 20, 2015

From Trauma to Triumph

This has honestly been one of the craziest, most incredibly awesome, beautiful weeks our family has ever experienced.
As many o f you know Zachary fell through the ice on a pond in our neighborhood several weeks ago. We have spent the last several weeks grieving what happened, and what could have happened. Talking with counselors. Talking with each other about the accident. Acknowledging when things feel hard and scary. Crying together. Hugging each other. And walking this road to a place of healing.
On the night of the accident Zachary asked that I not share his story with anyone else. He was ashamed and terrified, and didn't want anyone to remind him of what had happened to him on that dreaded day.
Um, does he know how much this one request cramped his momma's style? I mean, has he never met me?! I am an external, share your whole life, be uncomfortably transparent with all of your successes and failures, kind of person. This is the kind of story that could HELP people! It could save lives! And he didn't want me to say a word. But I needed to process what had happened. So I did the next best thing-I wrote about what happened, sent it to my friend who was with me when the accident happened, and she anonymously started posting about it: warnings, thanksgivings, advice for kids and parents.
Then my dear friend at Goldfish Swim School (who I had contacted right after the accident to thank  for teaching my son the skills he needed to survive his accident) called because she had been thinking that to share Zachary's story could help to shape the way people view water safety, bring awareness to the dangers of retention ponds that surround us, and help people be safe and vigilant with winter water safety.
My counselor recommended that I just be honest with Zachary that I was sharing his story with others because that is part of the way I heal and process through things. When I told him, he was fine with it. His grandmother had told him his story would save lives, and he said he had never considered that. So we started sharing more openly his story. And by we, I mean me.
Then!!!! 3 weeks after the accident, Goldfish Swim School had their PR company pitch a story about what happened to Zachary, his tale of survival, and how he had gotten himself out of this horrific position he had found himself in that January day. Zachary was excited and wanted to do the interview!

The next day a local news station picked up his story and interviewed us a few days later.
Zachary, my incredibly courageous, bold, heroic, kind, generous, compassionate, wise, amazing 9 year old shared his story. He relived that day with the reporter, fears and all. It was incredible to watch God redeem something so traumatic in Zachary's life, and allow him to walk away triumphant. Brave. Mighty. Helping others.
Here is the link to his story.
As is expected, so much of his interview was edited out because of time constraints. However, one sound bite I wish they had used was when the reporter asked what Zachary had been thinking when he was in the water. Zachary said, "I gotta get out of here, or I could die." It's so heartbreaking to hear your child say something like that; but that statement paints an incredibly vivid picture of the severity of his accident that day.
However, he didn't die. He is truly living a life, and on this day, he is glorifying God with his incredible story. God is with us!
One thing Mark and I want all of our children to learn as we walk this life together, when we look back on what happened to Zachary, is this:
Even when we are disobedient and do things we are not supposed to do (like disobeying parents and walking on a frozen pond), even when a horrible consequence results from our disobedience, God works all things for good for those who love Him. It's one of His many promises to us; one that we embrace daily. One we celebrate often; and one we know to be true for our son. God redeemed this trauma, and turned it to triumph.
To Him be the glory, forever and ever. Amen.
The Forever Grateful,
Joyful and Tired Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment