Tuesday, January 28, 2014

12.5% OF THE TIME I TOTALLY NAIL IT

I'm a good mom, I would say, about 13% of the time. And that's on the high end.
I always love and care for my boys. I always show them affection. We play board games and card games all the time. I even do their laundry....but I don't put it away, so I'm a good mom about 12% of the time.
What makes a good mom in my eyes? I celebrate who I am as a mom when I let me boys do something totally crazy, risky, adventurous, and well, all boy.
As we have been trapped in the house because of the 15th polar vortex we are experiencing, and watched more tv than I will ever admit to, I started thinking of how boring and lifeless life would be if my kids continued to just watch tv and play video games all the days of their lives. And I started thinking about this because that would be my tendency. Because for them to truly live and experience life there is some degree of risk and danger involved. And as I reflected on my highlight real of a mom, all of my best moments full of pride and joy and excitement were also married to fear and uncertainty. But I don't want to take these precious moments away. I don't want to rob my boys of adventure and fun because I am afraid of the million "what-ifs" that are out there.
I am not saying to allow them to live foolishly, just because. Or to allow any and all things. But my goal, my hope, my prayer actually, is that when spring comes and we can stand outside without frostbite setting in, I want to let my boys be boys. I want them to run and climb trees and have epic battles of some sort with their friends. I don't want to rob them of growing into men because I am afraid.
Any life worth living involves risks. And I want them to experience life, risks, adventures, and all.
And now, my 2 second highlight real of my boys LIVING! Truly, they came alive in these moments, you could see it written on their faces.  Such pride and joy!
 
 








 
Told ya the highlight real was short, but...our adventures are just beginning.

Walking the line between joy and fear,
The Joyful and Tired Mom
 

No comments:

Post a Comment