Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So Lucky

I was watching Mark play with our boys today and all I could think was, "Gosh, our kids are so lucky to have a dad like you." He is totally remarkable with them every day. And the way he can jump into their world and their imaginations is nothing short of incredible.
I suppose I notice these things more and more each day because as our boys are getting into 'bad guys' and playing 'mario and luigi' themselves-not through a video game-I am becoming painfully aware that there isn't an ounce of imaginative play in me. I said to Mark last night, "I am just so NOT creative." He was like, "Yes you are." Oh really? Should I scrapbook with our boys? I am sure they would love it.
And to be honest, that truly is the extent of my creativity. Actually, I take that back. One day about 7 months ago I had a great day coming up with fun things for our kids to do. We made homemade placemats and went to get them laminated, and then I built them a fort that they played in for 7 minutes. It was awesome! Still one of my best mom days. Ha.
It is wonderful to watch Mark play with the kids for hours, and become whatever character it is they want him to play. Yesterday Drew asked me if I would fight bad guys with him and he had his "sword blankie" to beat them. My response, "Sure. You lead the way." I mean, where are the bad guys? The one time I tried yesterday I got on the floor and started to growl and Drew told me I was doing it wrong. Why is it that I can't see their imaginative world and Mark can?
Not only does Mark become anything they want, and it is better than they even imagined. But in watching Mark anyone can see that he is totally having fun with them. I mean, legitimately having a blast playing with them! I, on the other hand, look at the clock...feel like an hour has passed...look again, and 5 minutes have gone by. Uh. What is it God wants me to learn as a mom of three amazing and imaginative little boys? And how can I embrace their world more completely?
Help me Jesus,
The Joyful and Tired Mom

1 comment:

  1. I relate to every word of this... I felt like you were writing my thoughts! It is in these moments I too praise God for blessing me w/ a crazy amazing husband and dad. (still know one holds them when their sick or hurt like mom!) :)
    Mandee

    ReplyDelete