Sunday, September 27, 2015

Beauty in the Ruins

While I was home sick this past week I binge watched season 7 of Project Runway. I am always looking for ways to broaden my horizons, enrich my mind, enhance mine, and my family's lives...  Watching the cat fights and backstabbing, and uncomfortable models walking down the runway in impeccably made clothes, or ill-fitting clothes (depending on who you ask) was the perfect way to meet all of my needs. Well, I am actually 1/2 kidding. But watching this show is pure entertainment for me, and it definitely makes me want to learn how to sew a button onto pants.
However, while watching the finale of season 7 today one of the final contestants was explaining his life, and how he came to be a designer. Emilio Sosa grew up in a low-income, urban environment, surrounded by drugs and violence. What he said keeps resonating with me. In spite of his life circumstances and his surroundings he said, "I saw beauty in the ruins."
Beauty in the Ruins.
I love this!
And then it got me thinking about the Pope. (I know. I know. Quite the leap, but just follow my stream of consciousness here.)
I am not Catholic. Therefore, there are many things about the Pope, and why people follow him, that I do not understand.  And that's ok. However, I keep seeing posts pop up on my newsfeed in facebook, or hear people on the news and on the radio talking about Pope Francis and what an incredible man he is. Even my non-religious/not practicing a particular faith friends make comments like, "Man, you know, I really like this Pope." And I must agree. He is an amazing man, full of grace, and compassion, and mercy. But what I want people to realize is that this man they love...
This man that stops for the sick, helps the poor, reaches out and holds the of the unwanted, the fringes in our societies around the world, the man who offers hope to the hopeless, the man who sees beauty in the ruins...beauty in all of us. This man...he is but a man, although incredible, that is immulating the very heart and actions of His Savior, Jesus. So while people want to take notice of this man and praise Him for his kindness, his love, and his mercy, I want people to take a step back and realize that this man is living and loving like Jesus lived and loved. And how He wants to live and love through each of us all the days of our lives.
However, because of the pain we have experienced at the hands of Christians, or witnessed through the lens of media outlets which cover some crazies, we choose to not even discover who Jesus is for ourselves.  We write Him off as a crazy leader that's only message was what he "didn't" stand for...and how we can fight for His agenda on earth, while He judges us from heaven. And this my friends, well this, breaks my heart, and makes me feel so sad for so many. Not in the "mean girls" feeling sorry for someone because they can only afford Target Lilly Pulitzer and not Boutique Lilly Pulitzer (for the record, I can't afford either, but whatever).  No, I feel sad because of what people are turning their backs on, without even looking into what Jesus really says, who He really is!
He is the author of seeing beauty in the ruins!
He sees us and loves us as we are, in this moment: the mess and train wreck of a life, marriage, abortion, relationship, divorce, eating disorder, domestic abuse, adultery, addiction, illness...you name it, and even in the midst of it He loves you. But the greatest thing about Jesus is He loves you so much, that He also sees you as He created you to be, and thinks you are stunningly beautiful. And He will guide you to that place where you see it in yourself, and you choose Him, the author and perfecter of beauty.
So while we want to shout for joy over Pope Francis, please know how he learned to love, and that is through His Savior who wants to live and breathe in each and every one of us if we let Him.
Can you imagine a world where we all selflessly loved others? Cared for the poor and down trodden? And I don't mean like the government taking care of people, but like...people taking care of people! Just like we see Pope Francis doing.
He is being just like Jesus.
The Joyful and Tired Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment